Unidentified assailants attacked a convoy transporting workers of Canadian gold producer Semafo Inc. in Burkina Faso, killing at least 37 people, the government said.
Five buses transporting employees, contractors and suppliers were ambushed Wednesday on a road between the eastern town of Fada and Semafo’s Boungou mine, the Montreal-based company said in a statement. The incident happened about 40 kilometers (25 miles) away from the Boungou site and the mine’s operations are unaffected, it said.
The convoy was hit by a “complex attack,” in which 60 people were injured, Burkina Faso’s government said in a statement. The state will provide further details later on Thursday, while Semafo said it will issue an update “when complete details are known.”
Dozens of people were feared still missing on Thursday.
It was unclear how many people were in the convoy, what their nationalities were or how many were missing. Two security sources told Reuters that potentially dozens were still unaccounted for.
Government and military officials declined to comment.
A spokesperson for Canada’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said there were no reports of any of its nationals being affected.
Semafo’s stock closed 11% lower at C$3.49 in Toronto, the most since April 2017. Shares in Australia’s Perenti Global Ltd. dropped by a similar margin after it said members of its workforce in Burkina Faso were involved in the incident.
The attack is the third related to Semafo in the past 15 months, after two incidents last year left at least seven people dead.